Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bienvenue à Paris

I've been in Paris for just over two weeks. I still don't believe that I've actually made it to Paris and am here for the next five months.  Studying abroad in Paris has been a dream of mine since I was a young girl and discovered that it was a possibility. It's always been a definite, never a question. Now that I'm here, it's surreal.



I walk down the streets and have to take a minute to remind myself that these aren't just any streets, they're the streets of Paris, the streets I dreamed of for so many years. I'm not sure I'll even believe it after my trip is over, it'll always be a dream that I will have to remind myself actually happened. So, as my reality (hopefully) begins to set in, I thought I'd share some of what I've been up to in my first two weeks.

Since my program in London and my program in Paris were only days apart, I decided to travel straight from London to Paris on the Eurostar, arriving three days early. I once again maneuvered my way through the subway system, now in a foreign language, to my dorm. I have to say that, although it was in a foreign language, this trip through the city was much easier than in London because I didn't have to transfer trains.

I arrived at my dorm, checked in, and settled in my room. I was tempted to go out an explore the neighborhood but, as the sun was beginning to set and I was hungry, I decided against it. Instead, I got a crepe from the stand just outside my building and hung out in my room. I walked around my neighborhood a couple times over the next few days, however, after getting lost on my first outing, I decided to remain pretty close to my dorm until the rest of the students arrived. I did spend a nice afternoon at a park (pictured below) just a short walk from my dorm and was able to find a bakery and buy a fresh baguette and croissant. At least my priorities are in line, right?

Once the rest of the group arrived and we received our metro passes and cell phones, I felt more confident to travel further into the city. I had been here three days and still hadn't seen the Eiffel Tower! We made sure that was one of the first things we did, once they were over their jet lag. Since our main course hasn't started yet, we've been given a list of places in Paris that we have to visit. This list includes stores, restaurants, parks, and more that tourists wouldn't normally go to. It's been a fun adventure finding our way through Paris to discover these places. Below are a few pictures from some of my adventures, thus far!


Parc Montsouris. The beautiful park near where I live in Paris.

I still can't believe I took this picture. I took it! Because I was there! At the Eiffel Tower!
Oh, how I love when it sparkles.

That's the Eiffel Tower right behind ME!

The Eiffel Tower seen through The Peace Wall, a monument honoring peace worldwide.

Musée d'Orsay.

We went on a cruise on the Seine. It was a foggy and chilly day, but we saw many famous monuments!

You can never have too many pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

Apparently, Waldo changed his name and moved to France.

I loved this view of Paris from the top of Printemps!

Just me and the Eiffel Tower again. Still not real.

My first falafel! From L'As du Falafel (Ace of Falafel) on Rue des Rosiers.

Pont des Arts. Notice all of the "love locks" in the background.

The tradition is to put your lock on the bridge with your loved one, lock it, and then toss the key into the Seine so as to lock up your love forever. This key was just on the edge of the bridge, yet too far to reach. If the tradition is true, it made me think, what happens to their love?

I found this hilarious. By far my favorite lock on the bridge that I saw.

The Jardin du Luxembourg was stunning, and it's winter. I can't wait to see it in the spring!
Well, that's about it on my adventures for now, but I will be sure to be updating this blog regularly now that I am in Paris. I hope you enjoyed reading and I can't wait to have more adventures and post about them.

Until next time.
Grace

1 comment:

  1. These photos are fabulous! The first one of the Eiffel Tower glowing is stunning. Of course the one of you (beautiful) standing in front of THE Eiffel Tower ......"dream come true" ... you've wanted to do that forever! Thanks honey...SOOOOOOO fun!
    I was wondering where Waldo was!?!? ha ha xo

    ReplyDelete